Winter warmer: Hot chocolate with pink peppercorns recipe – it’s great for snowy days!
A combination Willy Wonka would never have thought of that warms you up a treat after playing in the snow! It’s liquid perfection!
The chocolate milk itself is about as basic as it gets – lots of melted dark chocolate and warm milk. It’s the bold pink peppercorn and cinnamon-infused syrup that takes it to the next level.
This scrummy recipe, which originally appeared in Issue 2 of The Simple Things, comes to you from the Kayotic Kitchen blog – its mastermind, Kay, calls herself ‘the cooking Dutch girl’ (she has the wooden shoes to prove it!) and says, “It’s is all about having fun with food and my camera”.
Hot Chocolate with pink peppercorns
Makes 2 generous mugs
- 200g dark chocolate (you really don’t want milk chocolate for this)
1 pint milk
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 100ml water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Pink peppercorns
1. Technically, pink peppercorns are impostors – they’re not peppercorns at all, they’re berries. Use as much or as little as you like. 1 tsp, lightly crushed, will give some zing.
2. Put the crushed peppercorns into a saucepan and add water and sugar. Break a cinnamon stick in half and add it to the water. Bring it to a boil. Simmer it over low heat for about five minutes, until it transforms into a thick, amber-colored syrup. Sieve the syrup.
3. Break the dark chocolate into small pieces and heat it in a bain-marie or very carefully in the microwave. Heat the milk too, then stir into the melted chocolate. It works best to just let it be for a while, 15–30 minutes or so, and then reheat it. The chocolate milk will be more chocolatey and velvety this way.
4. Add as much, or as little, of the pink peppercorn syrup to the hot chocolate as you like. It really adds pizzazz.
We found that Kay’s spicy treat is lovely to drink while you’re playing a few rounds of a traditional card game with your loved ones. You can check out two of our favourite card games here.
Have a sneaky peek at our Wishing For A Snow Day feature in Issue 5 below (if you’re on an iPad/iPhone click here):
Don’t forget, you can buy the print version of The Simple Things at good retailers around the globe, individually online or buy a subscription. For your iPad/iPhone, visit the Apple Newsstand. A digital version to read on a PC, Mac or Android device can be found on Zinio. And for Android phones and tablets, we’re also now on Google Play.
Subscribe now and get a free copy of the fabulous Decorate Workshop by Holly Becker, a book worth £25! You can subscribe online, or call call 0844 848 2852 (quote code TSTW13 – Mon-Fri 8am-9.30pm & Sat 8am-4pm). Offer ends 31/03/2013.
January sale: save up to 40% on a subscription to The Simple Things, or one of seven other brilliant Future magazines! It’s quick and easy to order online or by calling 0844 848 2852 (quote code ZC09 – Mon-Fri 8am-9.30pm & Sat 8am-4pm). Offer ends 31/01/2013.
- Posted at 14.30