Ward off chilblains and irritability with our five ways to keep your plates of meat warm.
1. CARDBOARD BOX When seated, rest your feet inside a newspaper-lined box. Ideal for homeworkers rationing their radiator use. Pros: Cheap, simple. Cons: Tragic-looking.
2. MICROWAVEABLE SLIPPERS These exist! A foot-shaped version of a wheat bag, they stay warm for hours, and are paradise for the poor of circulation. Pros: Immediate, failsafe. Cons: Impossible to walk in.
3. FOOT EXERCISES Boing up and down on your tiptoes, flex your feet, point your toes, and so on until sensation returns. Pros: Healthy, free. Cons: Tiring, takes ages.
4. MULTIPLE SOCKS Wear all your Christmas socks at once, in order of thickness. Pros: Easy, cost-free. Cons: Sweaty, fiddly.
5. DEEP HEAT Apply a mentholated topical treatment for instant unclenching. Pros: Fast, low-cost. Cons: You’ll smell of rugby and groin strain.