A potent broth full of zingy flavours and vibrant colours, Harissa broth with kale and almond pesto is a wonderful way to spring you through your day.
Top nutritionist Vicki from Abel & Cole says, “Almond and kale pesto is set to become the next pesto thing: the almonds are packed with magnesium for a calm 'get up and go', whilst providing a rich, creamy flavour/texture that is so much healthier than dairy cream and high in vegetarian alkaline protein, too. The Mediterranean vegetables offer the best combination of anti-oxidants to mop up the toxins in your body.”
Harissa broth with kale and almond pesto
3 garlic cloves
A pinch of harissa (more or less, to taste)
35g flaked almonds
Salt and pepper
1. Get a large pot hot. Peel or scrub your carrot. Finely dice. Finely dice your onion. Add a gloss of oil to your warmed pot. Tumble in the carrot and onion with a pinch of salt and pepper. Swirl through the oil. Lower heat. Sizzle till tender.
2. Finely chop your garlic. Set 1 tsp aside. Cut your tomatoes into a fine dice. Swirl them into the carrot and onion mix, along with a pinch of harissa.
3. Let the tomatoes cook right down till they’ve lost their shape and are almost a paste, about 10 mins.
4. Add 500ml water. Bring to a soft rolling boil. Cook till the broth has thickened. Taste and tweak spicing as you go.
5. To make the pesto, toast the almonds till just golden. Rinse and finely chop your kale. Blitz the almonds and the kale in a food processor with the reserved 1 tsp of garlic, 6 tbsp olive oil, the zest of your lemon, a squeeze of juice and a pinch of salt till it all comes together, trickling in more olive oil as needed. You want it to be a little loose, so you can swirl it through your soup. Taste and tweak as needed.
6. For a smoother broth, puree the soup before serving. Or keep it a little more rustic. Serve the with the pesto on the side, swirling it into the bowl as you serve.
ABEL & COLE OFFER
Order this week and get:
A FREE cookbook with your first delivery, and your 4th seasonal box FREE with a FREE bottle of organic Prosecco.
Visit Abel & Cole and enter the code TST14 at checkout.