Lilli Toukolehto jointly owns interior and lifestyle shop and café Moko Market & Café in Helsinki (www.moko.fi/en) with her sister. By layering fabric and being unafraid of colour, Lilli has given her Helsinki apartment real personality. Turn to page 90 of November’s The Simple Things for the full home tour, or read on for Lilli’s top style tips.
1. Don’t be afraid of colour, I love to mix rich crimsons and pinks with yellows and purples – the combination always lifts my spirits.
2. You can never have enough cushions. I am always buying and making more so that I can change them from season to season to freshen up my interior scheme.
3. Keep an eye open for neglected furniture. If it was well made, it will have a good, solid frame and can be reupholstered.
4. Display mirrors and pictures in groups to create an area of interest.
5. Mix furniture and other pieces from different eras: the joy of vintage is that it works across the decades.