Make two batches of our November cover recipe – one boozy, one kid- and driver-friendly – for a warming autumn treat.
Getting together with friends and family happens so easily in summer – good weather and that holiday feeling being the natural allies of socialising. Yet there’s plenty to celebrate come bonfire season: autumn’s fiery canopy, the crisp, cold air and fast-falling dusk lend themselves to gathering outdoors, wrapping up, wellies donned, and feasting around the fire. We’ll raise a glass of mulled cider to that.
Recipe: Buttered bourbon apple cider
500ml apple cider*
100ml apple juice
1 tbsp light brown sugar
Cinnamon sticks (one, plus some to use as stirrers)
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of ginger
Sliced fresh fruit (orange, apple)
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1. In a large pot add the cider, apple juice and sugar; heat until it starts to simmer.
2. Add all other ingredients except for the butter and bourbon.
3. Let the spiced cider simmer for 10 mins, then add the butter and bourbon, stirring gently until the butter has melted.
4. Remove from the heat, pour into glasses, add a cinnamon stick to each glass and serve. You can strain the mixture before pouring, if you don’t want ‘bits’.
* To make a children’s version, replace the bourbon and cider with apple juice (600ml in total).