Read our potted history of the classic plimsoll in May’s issue of The Simple Things? Have a little look at our top trainer outfits. Invented in 1830s, these trusty white trainers have been shoeing the style-conscious on the street almost a century before trainers were a twinkle in Adi 'Adidas' Dassler's eye.
Nearly two hundred years on, how do you wear yours? Here are our top plimsoll fashion picks.
Plimsoll style - clockwise from top left:
1. A linen blazer matches the laissez-faire attitude of the nonchalant plimsoll. Uniqlo, £14.90
2. Classic denim meets classic kicks - perfection in an outfit. Jigsaw, £75
3. Plimsolls love to be by the seaside, as does a striped sailor top. Boden, £25
4. Skimmer jeans are perfect for paddling. Gap, £44.95
5. An easy-breezy skirt will help you keep cool. Joules, £39.95