We're so lucky that organic fruits are now grown in the UK all year round, so when we saw this mouth-watering recipe from Sydney-based Briar Stanley, on her Sunday Collector blog, our thoughts turned to the strawberries that we'd eyed in the local greengrocer the other day...
Fruit and balsamic vinegar? Roasted berries? Trust us, this is simply divine! As Briar explains, "It's the balsamic vinegar that makes the dish. Try it next time when you want to impress in the visual stakes, but would prefer to be spending time round the table and not in the kitchen." Now that's joined-up thinking!
- Clean and slice the strawberries into good size chunks.
- Place in a roasting dish and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and toss well.
- Roast in a 180 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve the strawberries (and syrup) with a good quality vanilla ice cream.
- I made puff pastry love hearts just for fun – simply paint the shapes with egg and pop in to the oven for five minutes.
Don’t forget, you can buy the print version of The Simple Things at good retailers around the globe, individually online or buy a subscription. For your iPad/iPhone, visit the Apple Newsstand and if you’ve got Android or a tablet, go to Zinio.
Christmas gift idea: save up to 40% on a subscription to The Simple Things, or one of seven other brilliant Future magazines – we’ll even send a free personalised gift card! It’s quick and easy to order online or by calling 0844 848 2852 (quote code ZC09 – Mon-Fri 8am-9.30pm & Sat 8am-4pm). Offer ends 31/01/2013.